Poor Law, workhouses and industrial schools

  1. A number of records exist for the city from the time Poor Laws were being enforced.

  2. What's available

    We hold records on:

    • Old Poor Law (pre 1834)
    • Poor Law Unions 1834 to 1929
    • Workhouses and hospitals
    • Industrial schools

  3. How to access

    Records on microfilm are available on the ground floor at Central Library, no appointment needed. Resources marked with 'GB' are available in the search room, please make an appointment.

    Free access to findmypast is available at any of our libraries.

    To request access to restricted resources, email: archiveslocalstudies@manchester.gov.uk.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?