If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify us of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises, this includes the location, installation and contact details.
The following definitions will help you to determine if the plant/equipment that you have needs to be notified: -
- cooling tower: a device whose main purpose is to cool water by direct contact between that water and a stream of air;
- evaporative condenser: a device whose main purpose is to cool a fluid by passing that fluid through a heat exchanger which is itself cooled by contact with water passing through a stream of air;
- heat exchanger: a device for transferring heat between fluids which are not in direct contact with one another;
- notifiable device: a cooling tower or an evaporative condenser except: -
- where it contains no water that is exposed to air;
- where its water supply is not connected; and
- where its electrical supply is not connected;
All premises which have cooling towers and evaporative condensers must register with us under The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations, 1992. The main purpose of this is to identify potential areas that could give rise to spread of infectious disease e.g. legionella, and to ensure preventative measures are taken to eliminate the risk of such infection arising to employees and the public.
If you take any piece of plant or equipment out of commission, remove a piece of equipment or bring a decommissioned piece back into working order then you need to notify us, using this form.
You can also need to notify us of any change in circumstances i.e. changes to the Premises where the Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers are located, this includes the location, installation and contact details.
Application and guidance notes
Processing and timescales
Within 5 working days of the application being received providing we are satisfied with the information provided an acknowledgement will be sent.
Contact us in the first instance