Environment permitting - part A2 application form

  1. Summary

    You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales. A regulated facility includes:

    • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities; 
    • waste operations; 
    • waste mobile plant; or
    • mining waste operations.

    Listed activities include: 

    • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities; 
    • metals - manufacturing and processing metals; 
    • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass; 
    • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk;
    • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste; 
    • solvents - using solvents; or
    • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming.

    Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including: 

    • emissions to air, land and water; 
    • energy efficiency; 
    • waste reduction; 
    • raw materials consumption; 
    • noise, vibration and heat; or
    • accident prevention.

    The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

    Permits are available from the Environment Agency or us (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within: 

    • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency; 
    • Part A(2) installations or mobile plants are regulated by us; 
    • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency; or
    • Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency.

  2. Fees

    See environmental permitting charges guidance 

  3. Application and guidance notes

    For an application form for an A2 permit email contact@manchester.gov.uk


  4. Attachments required

    Requirements for attachments will be site and process specific and are indicated in the application form, but will include:

    • Site map showing the location of the site / activity
    • Technical reports providing details of the site activities, the process requiring a permit and the scale of the activity
    • Technical information on the predicted emissions to air and the technology and techniques for preventing or controlling and monitoring the emissions. 
    • Supporting information which the application wishes the Regulator to take into account in considering the application 

  5. Processing and timescales

    The completed application is reviewed to ensure that all the necessary information has been included with the application form.

    The Local authority officer will either seek further information within 14 days or confirm that the application has been ‘duly made’. Once duly made, the target timescale for processing the application and issuing a permit is 4 months.

  6. Legislation

    If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

    The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility. For waste operations no permit will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

    Summary of regulation relating to this permit

  7. Validity and renewals

    The Permit will remain in force until it is either surrendered or revoked. There is an annual subsistence fee charged for the regulation of the process to the prescribed standards.

  8. Register

    View the part A2 register

  9. Complaints

    Email contact@manchester.gov.uk in the first instance

    An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the appropriate authority (Secretary of State). Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?