Environment permitting - part B dry cleaners

  1. Summary

    You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England.

    A regulated facility includes: 

    • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities; 
    • waste operations; 
    • waste mobile plant; or
    • mining waste operations.

    Listed activities include: 

    • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities; 
    • metals - manufacturing and processing metals; 
    • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass; 
    • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk; 
    • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste; 
    • solvents - using solvents; or
    • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming.

    To operate certain industrial processes and commercial activities with emissions to air, you need an Environmental Permit from the local authority. This includes activities such as manufacturing activities using organic solvents, incinerators, mobile crushers, waste oil burners, vehicle respraying, cement works, petrol filling stations and dry cleaners. Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

    The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

    Permits are available from the Environment Agency or Manchester City Council (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within: 

    • Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by Manchester City Council, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency; 
    • Waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency; or
    • Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency.

  2. Fees

    See environmental permitting charges guidance

  3. Application and guidance notes

    For an application form for an part B dry cleaners email contact@manchester.gov.uk

  4. Processing and timescales

    The completed application will be reviewed to ensure that all the necessary information has been included with the application form. The Local authority officer will either seek further information within 14 days or confirm that the application has been ‘duly made’. Once duly made, the application will be processed and a permit issued within 4 months.

  5. Legislation

    If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

    The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

    For waste operations no permit will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

    Read the summary of regulation relating to this permit

  6. Validity and renewals

    The Permit will remain in force until it is either surrendered or revoked. There is an annual subsistence fee charged for the regulation of the process to the prescribed standards.

  7. Register

    View the part B register

  8. Complaints

    Email contact@manchester.gov.uk in the first instance.

    An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the appropriate authority (Secretary of State). Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

  9. Contact us


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?