A standard hackney carriage licence will not be issued or renewed for a vehicle more than 12 years old. A standard private hire licence will not be issued or renewed for a vehicle more that 7 years old.
We may waiver the age restriction if we consider the vehicle is of an exceptional standard.
A licence will not be issued or renewed for a vehicle more than 10 years old unless:
- the vehicle has been manufactured to Euro III or higher specification or has fitted either a PCO/Energy Saving Trust (EST) approved emissions reduction scheme.
- the vehicle has wheelchair access.
All renewal applications must be made and payment received 10 working days prior to the date of expiry of the licence. Your licence is at risk if you do not renew prior to the date of expiry; a new application will need to be submitted if your licence has expired (*except in the case of hackney carriage vehicle proprietor licence). *A new application for a hackney carriage vehicle proprietor licence cannot be submitted - your licence is at risk if you do not renew it before the date of expiry regardless if you are also replacing the vehicle.
This fee is for beyond age consideration and is a charge in addition to the renewal application fee
- £77 for both hackney carriage & private hire vehicles
Application, guidance notes or terms and condition
You can now renew a beyond vehicle using the online form vehicle renewal (beyond age) or you can request a beyond age to be considered during the licence period by completing and submitting this application form and guidance.
- Exceptional condition policy
- Hackney carriage vehicle policy
- Private hire vehicle policy
- Vehicle inspection policy
Hackney carriage and private hire vehicles are exempt from a MoT. If you require a certificate of exemption please visit the government website to obtain a V112.
- Original log book - V5C;
- Full service history; and
- Original valid insurance certificate.
If you are not a licensed driver just an owner the we also require the following:
- Statutory declaration;
- Passport size photograph; and
- Original British birth certificate or EEA passport.
Processing and timescales
We aim to process your application within 10 working days
Validity and renewals
Email firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance