A private hire vehicle (PHV) is either a saloon or multi purpose vehicle (MPV) using petrol, diesel or LPG fuel.
They can carry a maximum 8 passengers and must be pre-booked with an operator and driven by a private hire driver licensed by us.
A PHV must be either white or silver in colour, less than 7 years old, display front and rear id plates and carry approved operator livery and is subject to inspection at our Gorton test centre before a licence is issued.
If you have any enquiries relating to vehicle specification, colour, age or seating arrangements, please contact the test centre directly on 0161 856 2047,2048,2047,2045 or 1860.
Vehicle applications - Private hire vehicles
These fees do not include the cost of vehicle tests and any plates, stickers, other consumables or notice fees.
- Current fee £148
- Current fee £144
Variation (replacement) & renewal application
- Current fee £162
Beyond the age application (charged in addition to the renewal application fee)
- Current fee £77
Vehicle test fees - charged in addition to the above application fees
- Vehicle is brand new (delivery miles only) - MOT tests one per year £60
- Vehicle is less than 5 years old - MOT tests two per year £120
- Vehicle is more than 5 years old - MOT tests three per year £180
Application, guidance notes or terms and condition
- Private hire vehicle application & guidance notes
- Vehicle Inspection Manual
- If you are submitting a new or replacement vehicle application you must complete a vehicle suitability questionnaire for private hire or vehicle compatibility questionnaire for a hackney carriage and submit this with your application
- Age & Emissions Policy
Hackney carriage and Private hire vehicles are exempt from MOT testing. If you need a certificate of exemption please visit the government website to get a V112.
- A photocopy of the log book V5C (vehicle registration document) should be provided with your application. The log book must show your full name and current address;
- If the vehicle is brand new from a showroom, the log book V5C or invoice from the manufacturer/dealership must be provided and a letter from the manufacturer/dealership stating the vehicle is brand new with delivery mileage only. Maximum delivery mileage permitted is 200 miles;
- Preferred date and time for vehicle test appointment; and
- Original valid insurance certificate and completed sticker request form should be taken to the test (not submitted with application).
Processing and timescales
All vehicles must:
be less that 7 years old at date of application;
be white or silver in colour;
be a 4 door saloon or estate with right hand drive;
have no more than 8 passenger seats;
be road taxed with DVLA;
have valid insurance to carry fare paying passengers;
fitted with an approved taxi meter;
display front and rear id plates;
carry approved operator stickers.
Validity and renewals
Please email email@example.com in the first instance