This privacy notice explains what personal information is collected, what it is used for and who it is provided to. The notice also describes why we require your data, and the legal basis on which it does this.
This privacy notice relates to our Adult Education service. It provides additional information that specifically relates to this particular service, and should be read together with our general privacy notice, which provides more detail on the questions below. Read the general privacy notice.
What personal information does this service use?
This service uses personal information, such as Name, Address, Date of Birth, Phone Number, Gender, Age, Email Address, National Insurance Number, Residency Status, Benefit Status, Household situation, Learner History, Employment Status
This service also uses the following special category personal information:
- ethnic origin
- additional needs including physical health, mental health and learning disability or difficulties
What is your personal information used for?
The Council uses your personal data for the following reasons:
- It is a contractual requirement that the service submits Individual Learner Records (ILR) to the Education and Skills Funding Agency and the Greater Manchester Combined Authority as the provision the service delivers is funded by those agencies.
- The Council also uses the data provided to promote our services, undertake research, derive data which informs decisions such as future provision.
- The data is also used to assess the performance of the service and to set targets.
- To enable the Council, and the Department for Education, to exercise their functions and statutory responsibilities under the Apprenticeships, Skills Children and Learning act 2009.
What is the lawful basis we are relying on?
We collect and use this information under Articles 6 and 9 of the General Data Protection Regulation.
Article 6 basis:
- it is necessary to perform our public tasks (Art 6(1)(e))
Article 9 basis:
- you, or your legal representative, have given explicit consent to this particular information being used (Art 9(2)(a))
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes (Art 9(2)(j))
Where has your personal information come from?
The Information is provided directly to the service by you.
Who will we share your personal information with?
Your personal data is shared securely with the following organisations where it is both necessary and appropriate to do so:
- Education & Skills Funding Agency;
- Greater Manchester Combined Authority;
- Exam awarding bodies; and
- Organisations that carry out surveys and research to monitor performance, improve quality, plan future provision about courses and learning opportunities.
How long will we keep your information?
Our retention schedule sets out how long we keep personal information for.
Your personal information and your rights
You can find out more about your rights regarding the personal information used for this service. Your rights apply to the information held by the Council as a data controller, and the information we hold on behalf of the other data controllers.
We may change this privacy notice from time to time. Tell us if you want to know when we change this notice, or any related documents.
If you have any questions or concerns about how we use your personal information, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you're unhappy about how we process your information.