Homes and property Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

Changes to HMO licensing

The rules around HMO licensing have changed.

If your property is a HMO you may need a licence to rent it out, regardless of how many storeys the property has.

A separate licence will be required for each property.

Mandatory HMO licence - from 1 October 2018 a landlord must apply for a licence for a privately rented HMO if the property being rented out:

  • is occupied by five or more people
  • those people form two or more households
  • tenants share some amenities like kitchen, bathroom or laundry.

Purpose built apartment blocks consisting of three or more apartments will not require a licence.

Check if you need a licence and apply online


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?