Benefits and support Universal Credit

Universal Credit  is mainly for people of working age.

It replaces these benefits for most people:

  • Housing Benefit
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support

Help with housing costs

It covers housing costs for many people but not all. If you:

  • live in supported or temporary accommodation; or
  • get one of these benefits and it includes a Severe Disability Premium -
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • income-related Employment Support Allowance
    • Income Support

you need to claim Housing Benefit to help with housing costs .

From 15 May 2019, if you are pension-age you either claim help with housing costs from Housing Benefit or you claim help with housing costs from Universal Credit - it depends on your circumstances.

Help with Council Tax

Universal Credit does not cover help with Council Tax for anyone. Read how to claim Council Tax Support to help with your Council Tax.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?