Benefits and support Help with travel costs for work

If you are starting work following unemployment, you can get help to pay for public transport for your first month in work.

To qualify you must:

  • live within the area covered by Manchester City Council; and
  • be 16 or over; and
  • be earning less than £8.45 per hour in your new job; and
  • be starting work after at least six months unemployment where you have been receiving at least one of the following benefits: Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, or Guaranteed Pension Credit

You apply for this payment through our 'welfare provision' scheme. You can only apply online, and you will need to know your National Insurance number.  See where you can use computers for free.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?