Manchester City Council

Benefits & support Universal Credit

Get help with your claim

Universal Credit can only be claimed online. 

If this is difficult Citizens Advice can support you.

They will help you get started with a new claim, complete the claim with you and get you ready for your first payment. They can help you face to face, over the phone or online - whichever suits your needs. And they will give you support for longer if you need it.

You can ring their freephone helpline on 0800 144 8444.


You can also use free access to the web in libraries and job centres across the city. Staff in job centres will be able to help you make your claim.

Places with free internet and help to claim.

Support with managing your money

Universal Credit is paid monthly and you will be responsible for paying your rent. It is important that you manage your money to last the whole month and to cover your rent.

Personal Budgeting Support (PBS) is a service that can help you to manage your money, which is available at Jobcentre Plus offices across the city and at Shelter’s Hub. Call Shelter on 0344 515 1681 (may cost more from mobiles) for more information.

Find out more

Find out more about work, jobs training and advice

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?