Making an appointment to register a birth
Booking an appointment to register a birth during COVID-19 pandemic
We can take a limited number of bookings to register births at Heron House, but are only opening up appointments one week at a time.
These appointments will get booked up quickly, so please be patient. If you can't get an appointment straight away, please check the website regularly; you will be able to book an appointment in the near future. Please do not email us about appointment availability unless it is an emergency.
The safety of all our customers and staff is important, so we've reduced the number of people that can be admitted to Heron House each day, in accordance with the Health and Safety Assessment that was carried out on the premises.
We can only attest declarations for babies born in other registration districts if you are a Manchester resident. If your child was born outside of the City of Manchester, and you are not a Manchester resident, you will need to contact the register office for the district in which your child was born to arrange to register, or contact the register office in the district where you live. If you attend an appointment and you are not a Manchester resident you will not be seen. If you are a Manchester resident and wish to make a declaration in relation to a baby born in another district please email us at email@example.com
It is not possible to book appointments at Manchester Register Office over the telephone at this time; please book an appointment online.
Attending an appointment
Please read all the listed important instructions before attending your appointment:
• You must NOT attend Heron House if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
• Only the person/people essential for the registration are permitted to attend the appointment. This means if you are married or in a civil partnership only one parent must attend and if you are not married or in a civil partnership both should attend.
• Anybody attending who is not required for the registration will not be admitted to Heron House.
• You must not bring the baby or any other children to the appointment unless there is absolutely no alternative. We appreciate that while schools are closed it may be difficult to avoid bringing your children with you, but we cannot accommodate more than 3 people (including babies) at any appointment, so please book a time when you can attend with a maximum of 3 of you. You can currently apply for child benefit without a birth certificate. Please note there are no changing facilities available at this time.
• We ask that anyone attending Heron House for an appointment does not bring a pram or a pushchair with them. This is to maintain Covid-19 Secure principles within the building. However, if you have no alternative but to bring a pram or a pushchair with you, we will ask you to leave it on the ground floor of the building. We would also request that you do not leave any valuable items with any pram or pushchair that you do need to bring, as the Registration Service do not accept liability for the loss or theft of any items from the premises. Car seats/baby carriers can be brought to the office if you are able to carry it up the stairs yourself and it does not require the use of the lift.
• All customers will be required to observe social distancing measures in and around Heron House.
• Only card payments will be accepted. We cannot take cash at this time.
• You must bring your own pen with you to sign the register.
• You must arrive on time for your appointment. If you arrive late (even slightly) you will NOT be admitted to Heron House and will need to book another appointment. If you arrive early you will need to wait outside Heron House until your appointment time. You will not be able to wait inside the building.
• You will be required to use hand sanitiser at various times during your visit to Heron House.
• Your appointment will last around 20 to 30 minutes.
Can I register a baby born in Manchester at another Register Office?
Rather than attending Heron House in Manchester city centre, if you prefer, you can register the birth of any baby born in Manchester at the following register offices. Currently you do not need to live in the district to use this service at Rochdale Register Office (until 30 April 2021). Trafford, Salford and Bury Register Offices only provide this service for their own residents.
Salford Register Office operates a strict appointment system. You can now only make an appointment here if you live in Salford. You must not attend the office without booking an appointment as you will not be allowed access. You can make an appointment online or alternatively if you do not have access to the online system you can telephone 0161 793 2500. (Salford residents only)
Bury Register Office operates a strict appointment system. You can now only make an appointment here if you live in Bury. You must not attend the office without booking an appointment as you will not be allowed access. You can make an appointment by calling 0161 253 6026. (Bury residents only.)
Trafford Register Office operates a strict appointment system. You can now only make an appointment here if you live in Trafford. You must not attend the office without booking an appointment as you will not be allowed access. To book an appointment, please telephone 0161 912 3026 during their office hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. For further information please visit their website. (Trafford residents only)
Rochdale Register Office operates a strict appointment system. From 1 May 2021 you will only be able to make an appointment here if you live in Rochdale. You must not attend the office without booking an appointment as you will not be allowed access. You can make an appointment by calling 01706 924 784.
Registering Births at Surestart Centres
We have now restarted birth registration services at a number of Surestart Centres across Manchester. Please contact the relevant centre to make an appointment, but bear in mind there may be some delay, due to the unusually high level of demand for appointments at the moment.
Unfortunately, at the current time we are unable to issue the birth certificate on the day of registration, if you register your child’s birth at a Surestart Centre. Instead, the registrar will issue you with a letter giving full details of how you can apply for the certificate online.
We will attend the following centres on these days:
- Monday: Woodville Surestart Centre, Cheetham (0161 234 3000) and Rusholme Surestart Centre (0161 227 3171)
- Tuesday: Clayton Surestart Centre (0161 219 6177)
- Wednesday: Benchill Surestart Centre (available to M22 and M23 residents only) (0161 998 7280)
- Thursday: Longsight Surestart Centre (0161 248 1500)
- Friday: Sacred Heart Surestart Centre, Gorton (0161 245 7180) and Moston Surestart Centre, Moston (0161 205 7058)