Making a birth registration appointment
Booking an appointment to register a birth during COVID-19 pandemic
Following lockdown measures in March, birth registration in England and Wales was temporarily suspended. At the start of June it was announced that birth registrations could resume, where it is safe to do so.
We are now taking a limited number of bookings to register births at Heron House, but are only able to open appointments one week at a time.
We know that these appointments will get booked up quickly, and ask you to be patient: if you can't get an appointment straight away, please continue to check the website regularly. You will be able to book an appointment at a later date. Please do not email us about appointment availability unless it is an emergency.
The safety of all our customers and staff is important, and so we've reduced the number of people that can be admitted to Heron House on a daily basis, in full accordance with a Health and Safety Assessment which has been carried out on the premises.
At the moment we cannot attest declarations for other registration districts: if your child was born outside the City of Manchester you will need to contact the register office for the district in which your child was born to arrange to register. If you attend an appointment and your child was not born in Manchester you will not be seen.
It is not possible to book appointments over the telephone at this time. To book an appointment to register a birth at Manchester Register Office please book an appointment online.
Attending an appointment
Please read all of the following important instructions before attending your appointment:
• You must NOT attend Heron House if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
• Only the person/people essential for the registration are permitted to attend the appointment. This means if you are married or in a civil partnership only one parent must attend and if you are not married or in a civil partnership both should attend.
• Anybody attending who is not required for the registration will not be admitted to Heron House.
• You must not bring the baby or any other children to the appointment unless there is absolutely no alternative. Please note there will be no changing facilities available at this time.
• We ask that anyone attending Heron House for an appointment does not bring a pram or a pushchair with them. This is to maintain Covid-19 Secure principles within the building. However, if you have no alternative but to bring a pram or a pushchair with you, we will ask you to leave it on the ground floor of the building. We would also request that you do not leave any valuable items with any pram or pushchair that you do need to bring, as the Registration Service do not accept liability for the loss or theft of any items from the premises. Car seats/baby carriers can be brought to the office if you are able to carry it up the stairs yourself and it does not necessitate the use of the lift.
• All customers will be required to observe social distancing measures in and around Heron House.
• Only card payments will be accepted. We cannot take cash at this time.
• You must bring your own pen with you to sign the register with.
• You must arrive on time for your appointment. If you arrive late (even slightly) you will NOT be admitted to Heron House and will need to book another appointment. If you arrive early you will need to wait outside Heron House until your appointment time. You will not be able to wait inside the building.
• You will be required to use hand sanitiser at various times during your visit to Heron House.
• Birth registrations will currently only be possible at The Register Office, Heron House. We cannot offer appointments at Surestart Centres in Manchester at this time.
• Your appointment will last around 20 to 30 minutes.
Can I register a baby born in Manchester anywhere else at the moment?
Rather than attending Heron House in Manchester city centre, if you prefer, you can register the birth of any baby born in Manchester at the following register offices at the moment. Currently you need not live in the district to utilise this service:
Salford Register Office
Salford Register Office operates a strict appointment system. You must not attend the office without booking an appointment as you will not be allowed access. You can make an appointment online or alternatively if you do not have access to the online system you can telephone 0161 793 2500.
Bury Register Office
Bury Register Office operates a strict appointment system. You must not attend the office without booking an appointment as you will not be allowed access. You can make an appointment by calling 0161 253 6026.
Trafford Register Office
Trafford Register Office operates a strict appointment system. You must not attend the office without booking an appointment as you will not be allowed access. To book an appointment, please telephone 0161 912 3026 during their office hours, Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 4.00pm.
For further information please visit their website.
Rochdale Register Office
Rochdale Register Office operates a strict appointment system. You must not attend the office without booking an appointment as you will not be allowed access. You can make an appointment by calling 01706 924 784.