Book a birth registration appointment online
Before booking your appointment, please make sure that you have read the information on who can register a birth and new arrangements for appointments to register a birth during the COVID 19 pandemic.
You need to register the birth within 6 weeks (42 days)
You will need to provide the following information:
- Baby's date and place of birth, Baby's forename(s) and surname and how you wish to spell those names
- Mother's full name,date and place of birth, occupation and maiden name/date of marriage (if applicable)
- Where father's details are being recorded, the same information as for the mother is required
What you need to bring with you to your appointment.
The only document that you need to bring with you is the "Red Book" (Personal Child Health Record). A record of the birth is sent to us by the hospital.
In addition, in order to improve the quality of the information recorded in the registration we ask that you bring one of the following documents, for both parents, to the appointment - Passport/Utility Bill/Driving Licence/Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate. However, you can still make an appointment and register a birth if these documents are unavailable.
You will be asked to sign, to confirm that the information recorded is correct. Please ensure that you check the entry carefully, before signing, as once you have signed, any mistakes can only be corrected if you pay a significant fee.
Same sex couples - you do not need to bring your parenthood agreement to your appointment.
What documents are available.
Since 1 November 2017, due to legislative changes, we no longer issue a free short birth certificate. The following documents are available to purchase.
- A standard certificate, showing all the details recorded in the register is available from the registrar, at the time of registration, at a cost of £11.
- You may also purchase a short certificate showing just the child's details for the same price.
If you intend to apply for a passport for your child, the Passport Office will ask to see a standard birth certificate.
You do not need to 'logon' to use the system.
Due to Coronavirus restrictions, we have a limited number of appointments for each day, and we can only open them up a week at a time, at the start of the week, usually on the Monday. The available appointments go very quickly. If there are no appointments showing as available within the next two weeks, then all the appointments are currently booked, please try again early next week.