Births, marriages, deaths and nationality Register a birth

Adding the name of a father or second female parent to a birth certificate

You must re-register your child’s birth if you want to add the details of the natural father or second female parent to the birth record. If you want a new birth certificate you’ll have to order one separately - you don’t get one automatically when you re-register the birth.

Mother and father have married after the birth

If the mother and father have married after the child was born and you want the natural father’s details to be on the birth record, you must re-register your child’s birth.

Fill in an ‘Application for re-registration following parents’ marriage’ form and take it, or post it, to the Register Office. Once the application has been processed you will be contacted to make an appointment.

Mother and father aren’t married

If you want the father’s name on the birth record, fill in an ‘Application for the re-registration of a child’s birth’ form and take it, or post it, to the Register Office. Once the application has been processed you will be contacted to make an appointment.

If one of you can’t be there, that person also needs to fill in a ‘Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage’ form and take it, or send it, with the re-registration form, to the Register Office.

If there’s been a ‘Declaration of Parentage’

A Declaration of Parentage is when the court decides who the father of a baby is. You don’t need to do anything to change the birth record if there’s been a Declaration of Parentage made by a court. The court will tell the General Register Office and the birth will be re-registered. You’ll need to order a new birth certificate if you want one.

Mother and second female parent have married / entered into civil partnership after the birth.

If the mother has married or formed a civil partnership with the child's second female parent, after the birth has been registered, the birth should be re-registered.

You will need to contact the General Register Office (GRO) to obtain the relevant forms. The completed forms and supporting documentation will then need to be submitted to GRO who will authorise the re-registration. Once it has been authorised, the re-registration will be carried out at the Register Office. 

GRO contact details for re-registration

Changing the father's name on the birth certificate.

If the wrong father is named on the current birth certificate, you can ask for a correction. That will remove the wrong father’s name. Then you can re-register the birth with the right father’s name.

You can only apply to change who the father is if a DNA test proves (or a court order says) that the man named on the certificate isn't the natural father. Please contact the Manchester Register Office for further information.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?