Planning and regeneration Building regulation approval for alteration and installation work

Competent person schemes

You do not need to get building regulation approval yourself for alteration and installation work if you use someone registered with a 'competent person scheme'.

We recommend you use a tradesperson registered with an approved scheme so they can self-certify that their work complies with building regulations and will tell us directly about any work they've done on your behalf.

If you're not using a 'competent person' you need to tell apply for building regulation approval yourself. If you do not:

  • the person doing the work could be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000
  • we could make you pay for faulty work to be fixed
  • you will not have the certificates of compliance you may need when you want to sell your home

Not using a competent person?

You will need to apply for approval yourself. Choose which application to use.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?