Money off your business rates
You can apply for various business rate reliefs from us depending on the status of your property.
You may be able to apply for:
- mandatory rate relief for registered charities and sports clubs
- discretionary relief for non-profit making bodies
- small business rate reliefs
- hardship relief
- part-occupied property relief
- local discounts
- business rate relief for local newspapers
- business rate relief for pubs
- expanded retail discount
There’s no charge for the first three months when a business becomes empty, or six months for industrial property. After this, it will be charged at the full business rates.
There are some exemptions, such as listed buildings and properties with a rateable value of less than £2,900.
Support for businesses
Business and inward investment have a big part to play in the successful future of our city and we also support business directly though our partners. The Business Growth Hub provides information about support for business.
When awarding business rate discounts, we must do so within state aid de minimis levels. This regulation allows small amounts of aid to be awarded.