Information about starting up a business
- Manchester Central Library's Ask about business and Business and Intellectual Property Centre help you develop your business ideas and plans. Access to professional market research, business directories, intellectual property advice and a range of workshops and netwokring events. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the monthly News and Events updates.
- GOV.UK - provides online guides and tutorials, contracts finder, finance and business support finder, practical steps to setting up a business - registering, licensing, banking, VAT, National Insurance (NI) and employing people. Call 0845 600 9006.
- HMRC online guides and tutorials including how to determine if you are employed or self-employed for tax purposes.
- Purposely - a free tool to help founders build 'purpose beyond profit' into the articles.
- Greater Manchester Social Enterprise Network provides a directory of social enterprises and online resources.
Advice and support
- Central Library's Business and IP Centre hosts drop in sessions with business advisors, holds regular patent and IP clinics and offers a wide range of workshops and networking events.
- The Council hosts MiVentures, a live chat service with qualified business advisors that people and businesses can use at a time that suits them. Also, access to a library of guides on key business topics, direct support with registering with HMRC and Companies House, and you can also join online discussion groups or create your own business network.
- he Business Growth Hub is the Greater Manchester support service that helps people and businesses set up and grow their business, Strategic business advice, leadership support, workforce development, support for key sectors and in specialist areas like finance, international trade, digital and zero carbon Call 0161 359 3050.
- PeoplePlus delivers start up and business support including the New Enterprise Allowance (NEA) scheme for people on work-related benefits. Call 0161 5076366 or email email@example.com.
- Market trading can be a career in its own right but many market traders used it as a first step to running successful businesses online or in their own premises.
- The Prince's Trust helps people aged 18 to 30 start their own business. Call 0800 842 842.
- Digital Business Academy from Tech City offers free online digital skills training for entrepreneurs that want to start, grow or join a digital business.
- UnLtd offer free advice and grants for social entrepreneurs and enterprises. Call 0845 850 1122.
- TECH Manchester offers free workshops and events, training, mentoring, online resources, public relations and marketing, and the opportunity to access workspace and media facilities.