Criminals are becoming more sophisticated in their attempts to use the council tax system to trick Manchester residents out of their cash.
Be aware that we (the Council Tax Service) will not:
- text you or ring you to ask for your bank details without asking you appropriate security questions; or
- text you a link to update your bank details.
But we may tell you to visit our website to do these things.
- We will not send enforcement agents (bailiffs) to your home without telling you first. If your council tax account has got to this stage you will already have heard from us several times.
- We will not ask a third party to contact you about a reduction on your council tax. Find out about council tax reductions.
- We will not ask any other agency (HMRC for example) to contact you about your council tax.
If you have been targeted by scammers you can report it to the police at Action Fraud or ring 0300 123 2040.