We use CCTV cameras in areas across the city to:
- Make Manchester a safe and clean place in which to live, work and visit;
- Reduce antisocial behaviour, youth nuisance, drug and alcohol misuse, and provide public reassurance;
- Gain evidence of environmental crimes such as graffiti, vandalism, littering and fly-tipping;
- Ensure that traffic flows easily and safely through the city's streets;
- Provide traffic management support and enforcement of moving traffic offences; and
- Provide assistance and direction in the event of a major emergency in the city.
In the event CCTV footage is needed you can request this using our online form. Some areas may not be covered by our cameras, see where we operate CCTV cameras.
Evidence is retained for a period of 31 days.
About our cameras
All cameras are colour and have pan, tilt and zoom capabilities, they are located throughout the city and are monitored and recorded 24 hours per day. This is in accordance with local priorities, and this is led by analysis of crime trends through discussions with local police and partner agencies.
The cameras are supported by several radio systems linking pubs and clubs, and store security both across the city centre and south of the city. Both of these tools help to ensure that a rapid response to incidents can be made.
We may use recorded images for research purposes.