The Council and democracy Personal information and your rights

Accessing personal information we hold about you

You have the right to ask for information we hold about you; this is a subject access request.

When you make this request:

  • we must give you access to the information you ask for, unless an exemption applies
  • we will not charge you
  • in most cases, we must complete your request within a month of receiving it. If your request is very complicated, covering many years and different services, we may take up to an additional two months. If we need this long we will tell you as soon as we know.

You can contact any member of staff to ask for your information. You don't have to do this in writing, but it may help us to respond more effectively if you do.

To make a subject access request you must:

  • tell us what information you want to see. This can be done by letter, email, online form or verbally.
  • show us proof that you have the right to see this information:
    • a utility or council tax bill with your name and address
    • something with your name and photo, such as a drivers licence
    • if you are asking for someone else's personal information, a letter signed, by hand, confirming they want you to access this information

You can make a subject access request by:

When we receive your request, we will check it and confirm when we will complete it.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?