Births, marriages, deaths and nationality Organise a marriage

Civil marriage ceremonies at other venues in Manchester

Please see our Covid-19 Information and updates for information about the changes to the way this service is currently operating, during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Before you can get married you must give a notice of marriage.

It is possible to marry in any approved venue in England and Wales. Civil weddings may take place in hotels, banqueting suites, bars, museums and other places that have been licensed by the local authority.

The marriage can only take place at the venue you name on the notice of marriage. If you change the venue you will need to give, and pay for, an updated notice of marriage.

We have compiled a list of licensed venues in Manchester.

If you choose to marry in a licensed venue you will need to book a registrar to attend. You can do this up to two years in advance, but are advised to check that a registrar is available before confirming your booking with the venue.

To book a registrar, please contact the Register Office by email including your daytime telephone number. We'll call you back as soon as we can. A non-refundable deposit of £100 is payable when you book.

Two witnesses are required. The witnesses can be anybody, including family members, but they must both be over the age of 16, speak English and understand what is taking place.

New marriage legislation means that the way a marriage is registered in England and Wales will change from 4 May 2021.

Changes to the way in which a marriage in a civil building is registered after 3 May 2021

Find out more information about the ceremony and the fees.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?