Births, marriages, deaths and nationality Urgent marriages and civil partnerships

How to apply for a Registrar General's Licence

Where one party is seriously ill and not expected to recover, a ceremony can take place using a Registrar General’s Licence from the Registration district where that person is located.  Where possible you should contact the relevant register office during office hours so the necessary arrangements can be made. If the ill person is in a Manchester hospital, the staff at the hospital should be able to help.

Ceremonies under Registrar General's Licence can take place at any location including people’s homes, hospitals and hospices.

A letter from the Doctor in medical attendance is required. We have provided two sample letters that doctors can use as a template. Please note that the marriage letter can only be used for marriages and the civil partnership letter for civil partnerships.  

To arrange a Registrar General’s Licence please email: attaching the required Doctor's letter. Use the words "URGENT - RG's Licence ceremony required" as your email subject title.

We are open Monday to Friday from 8.15am until 3.30pm.  If we receive a request during office hours we aim to attend to conduct the ceremony within 24 hours; if the request is received at any other time we aim to attend to conduct the ceremony the next working day.

Template Letters when applying for a Registrar General's Licence

Ask the doctor responsible for the care of the patient to use the templates provided to prepare their letter. The letter should be on headed paper. There are two templates, one for marriage and another for civil partnerships.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?