Your waste, your responsibility. Find a registered waste carrier.
You have a legal Duty of Care to ensure your household waste is disposed of correctly. You can be prosecuted even if your waste is fly tipped by someone else on your behalf. If it’s your waste, it’s your responsibility. Always use a registered waste carrier to collect your waste. Find a registered waste carrier in your area on the Environment Agency’s website.
Hiring someone to remove your waste:
Follow the S.C. R. A. P code before you hire someone to remove your waste:
- Suspect all waste carriers. Don’t let them take your rubbish until they provide proof of registration. Note their vehicle’s registration plate.
- Check that a waste carrier is registered on the Environment Agency’s website.
- Refuse any unexpected offers to have your rubbish taken away.
- Ask how your rubbish will be disposed of – seek evidence of this.
- Paperwork must be obtained: a proper invoice, waste transfer note or receipt, including a description of the waste being removed and the waste carrier’s contact details.
Visit Recycle for Greater Manchester for more information and advice.