Our records collection
Registers available online
Many Methodist registers of baptisms (1500s to 1915), marriages (1500s to 1930) and burials (1500s to 1985) from Manchester, Wigan, Tameside, Bury, Oldham and Stockport are now available at Ancestry, access is free at any of our libraries.
The national Methodist Church is divided up into districts and each district is divided up into circuits, with a number of churches belonging to each circuit. Our Central library is an official repository for Manchester and Stockport. We collect records of circuits and churches from the northern part of the district.
We hold records of around four hundred Methodist churches and over one hundred circuits. These records are drawn from an area that extends to Oldham in the north (but does not include Rochdale, Bury and Bolton which are in neighbouring districts), Altrincham in the south, Ashton-under-Lyne in the east and Eccles in the west. Records from certain outlying circuits are also collected, namely Glossop Circuit and High Peak Circuit, the latter covering the former New Mills and Whaley Bridge circuits and we also collect records from Romiley Circuit in Stockport.
- Cheshire Record Office - records from the most southern part of the district, covering the Alderley Edge and Knutsford Circuit and Macclesfield Circuit.
- Stockport Archives- records from the Stockport Circuit, Hazel Grove and Poynton Circuit and Bramhall Circuit.
- Derbyshire Record Office - records from Buxton Circuit.
List of collections we hold at Central library
These links take you to our archives catalogue for more information. You can view the records in the search room by quoting the reference number. Please make an appointment (with at least one day notice).
- Altrincham Methodist Circuit (C18)
- Ashton-under-Lyne Methodist Circuit (L10)
- Cadishead Methodist Circuit (L40)
- Eccles Methodist Circuit (L28)
- Glossop Methodist Circuit (O5)
- Hurst Methodist New Connexion Circuit (L19)
- Hyde and Denton Methodist Circuit (C22)
- Manchester and Salford Methodist Mission (M196)
- Manchester and Stockport Methodist District (M202)
- Manchester (Cheetham Hill and Prestwich) Methodist Circuit (M235)
- Manchester (Chorlton and Moss Side) Methodist Circuit (M319)
- Manchester (Droylsden and Openshaw) Methodist Circuit (M89)
- Manchester (Gravel Lane) Wesleyan Methodist Circuit (L16)
- Manchester (Grosvenor Street) Wesleyan Methodist Circuit (M314)
- Manchester (New Islington) Primitive Methodist Circuit (M307)
- Manchester (North) and Middleton Methodist Circuit (M80)
- Manchester (North East) Methodist Circuit (M60)
- Manchester (Oxford Road) United Methodist Circuit (M640)
- Manchester (South East) Methodist Circuit (M114)
- Manchester (Stretford and Urmston) Methodist Circuit (M212)
- Manchester (Withington) Methodist Circuit (M67)
- Manchester (Wythenshawe) Methodist Circuit (M670)
- Methodist marriage registers (M275)
- Methodist marriage registers (M291)
- Mossley Methodist New Connexion Circuit (L30)
- New Mills Methodist Circuit (O8)
- Oldham Methodist Circuit (L26)
- Oldham Methodist New Connexion Circuit (L92)
- Prestwich and Broughton Methodist Circuit (L20)
- Romiley Methodist Circuit (C19)
- Saddleworth Wesleyan Methodist Circuit (L93)
- Shaw and Royton Methodist Circuit (L39)
- Stalybridge Primitive Methodist Circuit (C12)
- Stalybridge Methodist New Connexion Circuit (C14)
- Swinton Methodist Circuit (L51)
- Whaley Bridge Methodist Circuit (O7)
- Worsley Methodist Circuit (L167) .