Parking Apply for a dropped kerb

What is a dropped kerb ?

Dropped kerbs are lowered areas of pavement outside of a property that have been strengthened and made into a ramp shape to allow for a vehicle to cross the pavement and park onto the property.


In order to apply for a dropped kerb you will need to get planning permission if the proposed kerb is on an A road, B road, or classified road. If you are unsure which your road is, after we have reviewed your application, we will contact you to let you know if you need planning permission.


All dropped kerb applicantions require planning permission unless the road is stated as a unclassified road type

Types of road:

  • A road: major road providing large-scale transport links within or between areas
  • B road: connects different areas and feeds traffic between A roads and smaller roads on the network
  • Classified: sometimes known unofficially as C roads, these smaller roads connect unclassified roads with A and B roads, eg linking a housing estate or village to the rest of the network 
  • Unclassified: local road intended for local traffic

Your driveway must also be long enough to park a car without it sticking out onto the pavement.

The minimum length for a driveway is:

  • 6 metres if there is a garage at the end of the driveway
  • 5.5 metres if there is no garage at the end of the driveway

If gates are to be installed they must either open inwards or be set back to open within the limit of your property. This may mean you need a longer driveway. 

The maximum size of a standard dropped kerb is 3m x 2m, and this costs £900 (larger dropped kerbs will cost more.) You may also be charged extra if we need to remove any obstructions.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?