Phone issues

We're experiencing problems with some of our phone lines. We're working hard to fix them, but in the meantime please try again if you're unable to get through.


Homes and property Housing support to live independently

Housing-related support

Housing-related support helps people who are struggling to set up or maintain a stable home environment. It's a short-term service which aims to give individuals the skills and confidence to be able to live independently and avoid tenancy problems which can lead to homelessness

A person may need support in their own home, or in supported accommodation, for example a hostel or sheltered housing. The support might be needed for a wide range of reasons, and is tailored to address the issues they are facing, which may include help to:

  • set up and maintain your home
  • get settled into new accommodation for the first time
  • develop skills, such as cooking and cleaning
  • sort out rent arrears, debt, budgeting, claiming the right benefits and filling in the relevant forms to maintain a tenancy
  • get advice and advocacy related to housing or tenancy matters
  • stay in contact with friends and family
  • get into education and training and volunteering
  • return to, or find employment
  • manage safety and security at home
  • recover from (mental) ill health
  • maintain your health and wellbeing

Housing related support does not include personal care, such as help with taking medication, washing or bathing, although if you have care and support needs, a care needs assessment will take into account your housing circumstances.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?