Hyde Road improvement scheme
Work on the Hyde Road pinch point is now complete, and the road is now fully open.
The old bridge, which reduced the road from four to two lanes, has been replaced with a modern 25 metre-long bowstring arch bridge, which forms part of the Fallowfield Loop walking and cycling route.
The new scheme brings several benefits, including:
- Reduced journey times, particularly at peak travel hours
- Significantly reduced congestion in both directions of travel
- A more attractive environment.
This was achieved by:
- Removing the pinch point between Far lane and Wall Way to allow for better traffic flow in both directions
- Removing the old railway bridge and replacing it with a new, more attractive and modern longer span bridge
- The butterfly gardens – which are part of the Gorton Heritage Trail - have been cleaned, landscaped, with new a new turf lawn, railings installed with butterfly logos, plus seven different species of trees planted, to improve the area for the long-term future.