Pay and display
There are about 200 pay and display machines in the city centre. Follow these simple guidelines to use them properly:
- Parking is restricted to two or three hour maximum stays in different areas of the city centre, so check the details on the machine to be sure. For longer stays use a car park.
- Have plenty of change for the machine before you set out, or use the Pay-by-Phone service
- Read the timing information on the machine and pay the correct amount
- Display your parking voucher inside the windscreen of your car and check that it can be seen
- Leave plenty of time to get back to your vehicle
- If a pay and display machine is not working either park elsewhere or use another machine in the same zone
- Do not return to the same set of parking bays within one hour of leaving
- Parking in the on-street parking bays is free on Bank Holidays (this does not apply to car parks)
- Longer-term parking may be cheaper in a car park
Full information is available on our On Street Parking Pages.
If you notice anyone ignoring any of our parking restrictions, please report it to us.