Area 4 - Barlow Moor Road between Sandy Lane and Mauldeth Road West
The Manchester to Chorlton Walking and Cycleway scheme is part of our commitment to make transport across the city healthier and cleaner. We’re doing this by improving our connections across the city to support long-term sustainable economic growth and access to opportunity for all; the work also ties in with the Greater Manchester 2040 Transport Strategy.
This section of the cycleway will run down Barlow Moor Road between its junction with Sandy Lane to its junction with Hardy Lane/ Mauldeth Road West. The alterations to the junction of Sandy Lane/High Lane will be included within Area 3 proposals, which will be subject to further consultation.
Following the consultation and engagement events we carried out between November 2018 and January 2019, we have listened to your feedback, adjusted our plans and can now share the latest details with you.
We have appointed a contractor for this work, and will start construction on 1 March with an estimated completion date of Autum 2021
This phase, which runs from the junction of Sandy Lane and Barlow Moor Road, down to the junction with Hardy Lane/ Mauldeth Road West, will involve:
- creating segregated cycle lanes along both sides of the route
- maintaining access to off-street parking
- introducing cycle bypasses at existing bus stops, where possible
- improved cycle track beside Chorlton Park
- tightening side-road junctions to reduce speeds
- introducing traffic-calming speed tables at existing traffic island locations
- providing cycle lanes at the rear of existing parking bays
- introducing new parking restrictions to keep cycle lanes clear of parked vehicles.
There will also be a number of changes to Points of interest which include:
- near Malton Avenue - controlled crossing
- near Beech Road junction - Uncontrolled crossings and raised surfaces at junctions
- near McDonald's - controlled crossing
- near north entrance to Chorlton Park - Build out traffic island and bus stop
- opposite Chorlton Park - uncontrolled crossing
- south of Cundiff Road - controlled crossing
- south of Cundiff Road - parking bays
- Cundiff Road junction - Raised surface and controlled crossing
- next to Chorlton Park primary school north of Hardy Lane - Bus stop widening and parking bays
If you would like a pdf copy of the detailed plans for this scheme, or have any comments or concerns about the proposed measures, please email us at email@example.com