Health and wellbeing Coronavirus - Benefits and money

Having trouble paying your Council Tax?

Last updated 10.45am, Friday 17 July

Having trouble paying your Council Tax?

We appreciate that this is a difficult time for many of our residents and that the COVID-19 virus is having a significant impact on the economy.

Your council tax pays for our essential services that are delivered to all residents in the city, so it is really important that, if your circumstances have not changed, you continue to pay what you should, and maintain your direct debit payments or payment plan, as detailed on your bill.

If you are struggling to pay your council tax, there is support available and the Council can help you if you have been affected. It is important that you take action now:

Email us to set up a new payment plan

We can split the outstanding amount into eight equal monthly payments so that you clear the whole amount by the end of March 2021. Please email us to discuss this at

When you make an arrangement, we strongly recommend that you set up a direct debit on a date most convenient to you (we offer 7th, 15th, 21st and 28th of the month). This ensures that the payment is made when there are funds in your account and makes further recovery action much less likely.  You can sign up to Direct Debit online at  

Check if your bill is correct. If you are on a low income, have you claimed Council Tax Support?

If you have made a new claim for Universal Credit we can treat this as a claim for Council Tax Support as long as you said you wanted to claim Council Tax Support when you made your claim to Universal Credit. If you did not do this, or you are already claiming Universal Credit, then you need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support.

If you are successful, you may receive an additional £150 towards your bill.

Are you suffering exceptional hardship?

If you are suffering exceptional hardship, you may be able to claim a discretionary payment towards your outstanding Council Tax. Please email us to discuss this at

Do you have other debts?

If you have significant debts to other companies as well as Council Tax, it is important that you seek professional advice. Contact the Citizens Advice Service

Don't do nothing

If you take no action, further recovery action will be taken, which may lead to summons and enforcement agent costs being added to your outstanding balance. This will significantly increase the amount that you owe.


Given the demands on our contact centre, we would request that all contact is via email to We will come back to you promptly.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?