The government also intends to give tenants greater protection from eviction over the winter by requiring landlords to provide tenants with 6 months’ notice in all bar those cases raising other serious issues such as those involving anti-social behaviour and domestic abuse perpetrators, until at least the end of March 2021.
The government will keep these measures under review with decisions guided by the latest public health advice.
Landlords and tenants are encouraged to work together to agree an affordable repayment plan, taking into account tenants’ individual circumstances.
The National Residential Landlords Association NRLA - The Home For Landlords offers a wealth of advice and guidance to support landlords.
The NRLA have compiled detailed, easy-to-follow guidance for landlords and tenants who are facing arrears as a result of the pandemic and the steps that should be taken before eviction is considered.
If you have concerns about any of the following now is the time to seek help:
- Loss of employment
- Claiming benefits
- Housing issues
If you are served with an Eviction Notice please seek advice and support before acting upon it.
The earlier you get support, the better. We have put together a list of resources and services in Manchester to help you.
- Housing advice and guidance from Manchester City Council: www.manchester.gov.uk/housingadvice
- Shelter housing advice: coronavirus (COVID-19) - up to date advice from Shelter for renters during the pandemic
- Citizens Advice - housing and general advice
- Housing Advice - specific advice for private renters
- Cheetham Hill Advice Centre - local support with housing, benefits and debt problems
- Greater Manchester Law Centre - housing, welfare benefits and employment advice
- StepChange Debt Charity - for free debt advice.
- To apply for Universal Credit: Apply for Universal Credit
- To apply for a budget advance during the five week wait for the first payment: Universal Credit Advances
- For self-employed people whose business has been affected by coronavirus: Potential grants for the self-employed
- Entitled to offer online benefit calculators, including specific advice on help available from benefits if you are affected by coronavirus
- Tenants Union UK and ACORN work on behalf of tenants and others to improve the quality of life for renters
- NHS GM Mental Health service- housing advice service