Bins, rubbish and recycling
Updated: 1.05pm. Friday 21 January.
We are sorry that we have been unable to empty some blue bins in the following areas this week:
- Friday 21 January - Burnage and East Didsbury (M19 post code areas)
- Thursday 20 January - West Didsbury (M20 post code areas)
- Monday 17 January - Sharston and Woodhouse Park (M22 post code areas).
If your blue bin was not emptied in these areas, please take it back in and put it out again on your next blue bin collection day.
While maintaining a safe distance, please let any friends, family, or neighbours without internet access know about the current arrangements.
We apologise for the disruptions, which are due to staffing issues caused by COVID-19 and a national shortage of heavy goods vehicle drivers. COVID-19 will continue to cause issues, so please check this page regularly for updates.
If you don't live in any of the areas named above, and your bin is missed on its usual collection day, please leave your bin out and a crew will try and return the day after.
If your bin is still not collected by the end of the following day, please report a missed collection.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Our crews are working hard to make sure all rubbish is removed. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
- Food and garden recycling will only be collected if it is inside the correct bin
- You can squash / flatten your recycling as much as possible - cardboard and plastic bottles etc - to fit more in your correct bins
- All your cardboard and paper must be inside your blue bin. Excess cardboard can be recycled at a Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip)
- Check your bin days or sign up for weekly emailed reminders about when to put your bins out.
Tips and recycling centres
The Greater Manchester Combined Authority manage Manchester's facilities, which are at:
- Reliance Street, Newton Heath, M40 3EZ
- Longley Lane, Sharston, M22 4RQ
- Sandfold Lane, Levenshulme, M19 3BJ
Full details are on the Recycle for Greater Manchester website, including opening times and health and safety guidance. You can follow @recycle4gm on twitter for updates.
Please be patient with staff, who are working in difficult circumstances and be prepared for queues due to demand.
View traffic situation before setting off:
- Reliance Street, Newton Heath
- Longley Lane, Sharston
- Sandfold Lane Levenshulme
- Search for alternative Greater Manchester tips
See Recycle for Greater Manchester's A to Z guide for what items you can take to the tips.
Please do not leave any waste outside the Tips or Recycling Centres – leaving waste outside the centres or anywhere else is classed as fly tipping and is a criminal offence for which people will be prosecuted.
Disposing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and cleaning materials
The government has advice on disposing of non-reusable PPE and how to safely get rid of tissues and cleaning items.