Bins, rubbish and recycling
Missed bin collections
We are sorry that some of your bins have not been emptied on your usual days recently, this is due to staffing issues relating to COVID-19 and a national shortage of heavy goods vehicle drivers.
If your street is missed - please leave your bin out and a crew will return the day after.
If your bin is still not collected by the end of the following day, please report a missed collection.
Please let any friends, family, or neighbours without internet access know about these current arrangements.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Our crews are working hard to make sure all rubbish is removed. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
- Grey/black and brown bin collections are continuing as normal
- Green food and garden recycling bins are being collected every two weeks on the same day as your grey general waste bins
- Food and garden recycling will only be collected if it is inside the correct bin
- You can squash / flatten your recycling as much as possible - cardboard and plastic bottles etc - to fit more in your correct bins
- All your cardboard and paper must be inside your blue bin. Excess cardboard can be recycled at a Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip).
- Check your bin days
Tips and recycling centres
The Greater Manchester Combined Authority, who manage Manchester's facilities, has ensured recycling centres (tips) are open as follows:
- Reliance Street, Newton Heath, M40 3EZ - open seven days a week, from 8am to 8pm.
- Longley Lane, Sharston, M22 4RQ - open seven days a week, from 8am to 8pm
- Sandfold Lane, Levenshulme, M19 3BJ - open seven days a week, 8am to 8pm
Full details are on the Recycle for Greater Manchester website, including health and safety guidance. You can follow @recycle4gm on twitter for updates.
Please be patient with staff, who are working in difficult circumstances and be prepared for queues due to demand.
View traffic situation before setting off:
- Reliance Street, Newton Heath
- Longley Lane, Sharston
- Sandfold Lane Levenshulme
- Search for alternative Greater Manchester tips
See Recycle for Greater Manchester's A to Z guide for what items you can take to the tips.
Please do not leave any waste outside the Tips or Recycling Centres – leaving waste outside the centres or anywhere else is classed as fly tipping and is a criminal offence for which people will be prosecuted.
Disposing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and cleaning materials
The government has advice on disposing of non-reusable PPE and how to safely get rid of tissues and cleaning items.