Regular testing for those without symptoms
From 9 April 2021, everyone in Manchester is encouraged to take free rapid tests for COVID-19 twice a week - every 3 or 4 days apart. Regular testing is an important part of the easing of restrictions and getting life back to normal.
With 1 in 3 people with coronavirus showing no symptoms and potentially spreading it without knowing, twice-weekly rapid testing helps us to find these cases and prevent the spread of infection.
Getting into the habit of regular testing as part of our everyday lives will help us all to play our part and do what we can to protect each other.
Please remember you still need to be tested even if you have had your COVID-19 vaccination.
Rapid testing using lateral flow devices (LFD)
The rapid tests (called lateral flow devices) involve swabs to the back of the nose and throat and can give a result within half an hour because they do not need to be sent off to a lab for analysis.
Tests can be carried out at testing sites or at home, where kits can be collected from collection points and participating pharmacies. If this isn't possible, home test kits can be ordered online.
You can get a twice-weekly test:
- at a testing site. Book an assisted onsite LFD test or call 0161 947 0770 or 0800 092 4020
- Testing sites: Healthwork - St John Street (city centre) and Albine Street (Moston)
- through your employer if they offer testing to employees
- by collecting a home test kit from a local test site or participating pharmacy
- by collecting a home test kit from local libraries in Gorton, Longsight, Didsbury, Chorlton, Forum, Withington, North City, Avenue, Newton Heath, and Beswick
- by ordering a home test kit online or call 119
- Instructions for how to use a Covid rapid home testing kit in alternative formats and languages are available from gov.uk