This winter will be hard because not only will we still be dealing with COVID-19 pandemic, but there will also be flu and other cold bugs in circulation. In general, we will see more bugs because people are mingling again after long periods of lockdown.
With that in mind, it is even more important for us all to protect ourselves this winter, because early evidence suggests that there is twice as much chance of people dying if they get Covid and flu at the same time.
To stay safe these are the main things we all need to do:
- Make sure you have had both doses of your COVID-19 vaccine
- Have your booster COVID-19 jab when called
- Have your flu jab
- Carry on with regular testing.
In addition to that, please keep doing all the other key things like:
- Washing hands regularly;
- Wearing face coverings when needed (like on public transport);
- Keeping windows open when you are with other people (because COVID-19 is passed on through the air).
- Take any help you need, especially if you need to self-isolate.
Where to get help
There is a lot of help and support if you do test positive for COVID-19, including money to help you self isolate.
If you need help with food, medical supplies, or other COVID-19 related issues call 0800 234 6123 (Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm). You can also text 07860 022 876 and get a response by the next working day.
If you need any other COVID-19 related help you can call the Manchester helpline 0800 840 3858. It's open 7 days a week from 9am to 5pm.