Homes and property New licensing area proposals

Who can get a licence?

If this proposal is run in the selected area, landlords and agents within the proposed area will be required to complete an online application and provide safety certificates such as gas and electrical safety.  Landlords will be required to pay a fee on submission of the licence application.

To apply for a licence a landlord will have to be a ‘fit and proper’ person.

To decide this, we will consider:

  • any criminal convictions to do with violence, drugs, sexual offences or fraud.
  • whether they have broken any laws to do with housing or being a landlord
  • whether they have been found guilty of unlawful discrimination.

They will also have to meet standards in how they treat their tenants, including:

  • written tenancy agreements for tenants
  • putting deposits in a deposit protection scheme

And they will have to make sure the house meets certain standards including:

  • gas safety checks
  • electrical safety checks
  • fitting smoke alarms

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?