Births, marriages, deaths and nationality When death occurs

Bereavement benefits and help with funeral expenses

If your husband, wife or civil partner has died, you may be entitled to some state benefits.  This applies even if you do not usually claim benefits.  Please see page on bereavement payments.

Your funeral director will be able to advise you about ways of paying for the funeral, including the possibility of using money from the deceased's estate.

If you are having difficulty meeting funeral expenses, Social Services may be able to help.  Please contact Ms Debra Brett at MCC's Bereavement Service on 0161 234 3871.  The Bereavement Service will also arrange funerals for people where it is not possible to trace any family members.

Alternatively, where the deceased died in hospital and no family members can be traced, or if they are unable to make funeral arrangements, the hospital may arrange a simple funeral.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?