Before making an application, you must read about:
- Driver training & safeguarding;
- Guidance to convictions;
- View the Disclosure Barring Service online process; and
- Medical form.
There are five stages to apply for a new hackney carriage or private hire driver licence. If you provide the right documents and make payments within our timescales, it should take:
- Stage 1 - application submission. CBS registration 2 working days;
- Stage 2: application appointment, (Disclosure Barring Certificate application, submitted) documents checked 10 working days;
- Stage 3: skills and knowledge tests (10 working days after DBS result);
- Stage 4:licence application review; and
- Stage 5: licence issued 2 working days from licence review.
We’ll email you at each stage to let you know where your application is up to, if you need any documents, and where to get them.
Payments will be made at various stages of the process.