Phone issues

We're experiencing problems with some of our phone lines. We're working hard to fix them, but in the meantime please try again if you're unable to get through.


Schools, education and childcare School places for children with special educational needs

Secondary school children

All our secondary schools take children with special educational needs (SEN).

If your child does not have Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP)

If your child does not have an EHCP, you'll need to apply for a secondary place on this website

This applies if your child is going through an SEN statutory assessment, but doesn’t have an EHCP; or if your child’s school has an Individual Pupil Resource Agreement in place.

If your child is going into their first year of secondary school, the primary school will explain your child’s needs to the secondary school. 

If your child has an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP)

Most children with an EHCP transfer to a mainstream secondary school. A small number transfer to a specialist school, but only after discussion with you.

If your child is leaving primary school, we’ll send you a letter asking for your preference, plus a list of specialist schools you could still consider.

We'll then send you a letter telling you which school we plan to place the child in, and a proposed statement. The letter will explain what to do next. 

If you're not sure what to do please contact us:

Statutory Assessment Team 
1st Floor
Universal Square
Devonshire Street North
Manchester M12 6JH

Phone: 0161 245 7439
Fax: 0161 274 7084


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?