Essential maintenance

Due to maintenance, some online services will be unavailable 8am Saturday 28 November until 8am Monday 30 November, We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

×

Planning application for 22 May attack memorial goes in

A planning application for the memorial to those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 Manchester terror attack has been submitted today.

A public consultation on plans for the regeneration of Manchester's Medieval Quarter, the wider area which the memorial sits within, was held in May and June this year and found there was significant public support for the project.

Subject to the planning application being approved, the memorial will be located between Manchester Cathedral and Chetham's School of Music, at the foot of Fennel Street where it meets Victoria Street.

Glade of Light is designed to be a tranquil garden space, with a planting scheme planned 

to ensure year-round colour and reflect the changing seasons - a living memorial entirely using plants which grow naturally in the UK countryside. Tree locations have been calculated to maximise light and ensure the garden gets as much sunlight as possible.

At the heart of the memorial is a white stone ring 'halo' which will bear the names of the 22 who lost their lives set in bronze, with personalised memory capsules - containing memories and mementos to be provided by their loved ones- held within the stone.

Plans have also taken into account positive suggestions from a number of consultees. This has resulted in the addition of a new outer circle path around the memorial and more seating. These changes are designed to improve inclusivity and accessibility, and enable people to linger longer in the garden while preserving the memorial’s intimacy. 

Sir Richard Leese, Leader of Manchester City Council, said: "Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives on 22 May 2017 and everyone so deeply affected by the terrible events that night. 

"This memorial promises to be a beautiful tribute to them, a place for remembrance and reflection and a lasting part of the fabric of our city.”

Joanne Roney OBE, chief executive of Manchester City Council, said: "The council made a solemn commitment that Manchester will never forget and to ensure a special and fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on 22 May 2017. We believe the proposals in this planning application, which have been painstakingly developed, honour that promise." 

Designers BCA Landscape and Smiling Wolf were appointed last year, in consultation with the families of those killed. 

 

It is intended that construction work on the memorial will begin in early 2021 with completion due in autumn 2021. 

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?